Sunday, March 23, 2008

Bird Crazy

Migration is hard on birds, but like the symbols used by hobos during the great depression, birds know, by my elaborate feeding station, that they can find a friend @ 6211.

As of Easter 2008, it's been about a year that I have been feeding in the backyard. I started while I was not employed (not to be confused with unemployed), as a little experiment in Inside the Beltway living. Is there any wildlife six miles from the Capitol?

I have seen from my kitchen window about 34 species of birds. I know there are many more that I am not spotting because I have trouble telling some of the little brown sparrow types apart.

Some highlights: And these are no fish tales.
Bald Eagle. I live a house back from a lake that has three Eagles on it. One day there was a big bird in my tree. He was BIG.

Red Shouldered Hawk: hanging out by the feeder, waiting. I always know his success rate by the flurry of feathers he leaves behind. Natural selection's a bitch.

Pileated woodpecker and two babies. The grownup was the size of a crow. The babies, learning how to eat suet. A real treat.

A pair of mallards. Not rare or exceptional, but they chose my lawn for their family. I felt lucky.

This Spring will bring new friends to my feeder and I am looking forward to seeing who stops by on the way to wherever.

Now, if I lived ON the lake I'd really have good luck.

And like I said in the title of this blog: Interesting to No One.

No comments: