Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Rudie Can't Fail

While I was fixing dinner tonight (chicken piccata), I wondered what it was like to be the first music critic or even industry exec to hear certain albums. How exciting, to hear a soon to be classic, before the opinions were out in the mainstream.

What got me thinking of this was listening to London Calling, by the Clash. This album came out in vinyl in 1979. They were probably recording it around this time, 30 years ago. Thirty years later, it listens like a greatest hits album. I bought it in 1981, when I was a sophomore in high school. Boy, did I think I was cool. I think it's cooler now.

Last April, I went to see for the umptillionth time, Elvis Costello. My Aim is True was groundbreaking and fantastic then, and now. It was recorded in 24 hours in 1976. The American Bicentennial. To be the exec to listen to that....Wow. How cool.

Imagine sitting down to Exile on Main Street before anyone else. Not for competition, but for pure listening, not knowing what was coming and hearing it in order, on vinyl. Some Rebel Yell, neat, and you've got a banner evening.

I am not stuck in the past, only listening to the music of my youth. But some of the albums that came out in my record buying heyday became the plat standard of rock and roll.

Talking Heads 77. Think what that album started. Without the Talking Heads alt music would've had to have waited for some other breakout. Thankfully it was the Heads. Psycho Killer on SNL. That's classic rock, classic TV and fresh as a daisy.

Anyway, Interesting to No One, is just that.

No comments: